Monday, March 13, 2017

Night

   
     The experiences that Elie witnessed while living in the camps, changed his perspective on his religion. In the beginning of the the autobiography Night by Elie Wiesel, Elie was very pious, he wanted to study is religion. In The Beginning of the book Elie described how dedicated he is to his religion, "During the day I studied the Talmud, an at night I ran to the synagogue to weep over the destruction of the Temple." "One day I asked my fathers to find me a master to guide me in the studies of the cabbala." (Page 1) These quotes show how devout Elie was compared to other kids and that he was seeking for a mentor, which is recapitulating his faith.

     However, Elie starts to question God when he was being chosen if he shall live or die. During the book Elie starts to question his faith in God,  "Why should I bless His name? The Eternal Lord of the Universe, the All-Powerful and Terrible was silent. What had I to thank Him for?" (Page 31). This shows that his faith in God was slowly fading away. Another quote that  proves his faith is dying is,  "Never shall I forget those flames  which consumed my faith forever. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul..." (Page 32). This quote shows that he has hit rock bottom and believes that his God is gone and is never coming back.

     While walking to a shed Rabbi Eliahou's son decided to leave him behind because he was falling behind. Later on Elie remembered and knew why he'd lost his son, because of this Elie decides to pray. "My God, Lord of the Universe, give me strength never to do what Rabbi Eliahou's son has done" (Page 87). This shows that Elie still has enough faith in God to pray that he doesn't betray his father.   "I did not weep, and it pained me that I could not weep. But I was out of tears. And deep inside me, if I could have searched the recesses of my feeble conscience, I might have found something like: Free at last!...(page 112 in Night PDF //137). This quote shows that everything is gone, the pious person and who he was before is now gone due to 1 year in concentration camps.

Wiesel, Elie. Night. New York : Bantam Books, 1982


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Reflection

        The three most important things I learned this you in ELA was, how to write blogs with correct grammar. For the school year  my teac...